Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas 2010

Christmas Eve, we went to a local farm that has a free walk through light display.  It details the life of Christ, and is very pretty.  They had a lot of lights that were out, but it was freezing, and I can say I wouldn't want to be outside freezing my can off to fix them.  We decided this would be the better alternative to trying to sit in church and keep the kids quiet through candle-light services like we did last year.  I've never been into the church scene either, so it was nice not to have that stress on my shoulders.  We ate dinner with mom, dad, and Z-man, then went to this display.  Uncle M carried the Vampire most of the walk, he's such a softie when it comes to her.  The Drama Queen forgot her gloves, and we didn't realize until we were outside.  I didn't remind her 3 or 4 times to get her gloves before we walked the door either...  no, I wouldn't do a thing like that, and if I did, she would listen right?!?!   HA!

Uncle M and I fought hard to get the girls in bed when we got home.  As usual the Drama Queen is asleep as soon as hear head hits the pillow, but the Vampire can't seem to console herself to sleep for anything.  We end up having to gate her into her baby bed on her last night of sleeping in it, so we can get our gifts out and under the tree before Santa arrives to work his magic.  Of course we have to set up the milk and cookies as well, so Santa is well compensated for his hard work!  Christmas morning, the girls were pleasantly surprised by a set of bunk beds left beside the Christmas tree in the kitchen/dining room area.  Santa decked the bed out with sheets, and big fluffy comforters.  They were thrilled.  They tore through their gifts that took us so much time to buy and wrap in a matter of 15 minutes then were happy to go about playing.  Crazy kids.

Uncle M spoiled me and bought me a laptop.  He knows my love of writing, and with this wonderful device, I can write... anywhere.  I LOVE it, and can't begin to thank him enough!!!  I started writing a story I've been working in my head a few days ago, and the automatic windows update restarted my computer and wiped it out.  I'm going to try and figure out if Office 2010 has an autosave feature, and Uncle M turned off the auto-restart on the Microsoft updates.  I got Uncle M's radio installed in his car, for Christmas.  He was w/o a radio in his vehicle since July when his battery died, and he fried it trying to jump the vehicle.  I also bought him some Lions cups, but am a genius and forgot them at work when I left Christmas Eve, and had nothing for him to unwrap Christmas morning.  Felt awful about that. 

The day after Christmas, I was hit with a nasty stomach virus.  I stayed in bed most of the day wishing the pain would go away.  Uncle M watched his Lions bring home another victory for their season, then took the girls sledding...  on one of their old mattresses from the Drama Queen's old bed.  I had asked him to throw it away when he was packing the Drama Queen's bed to take to my brother and his family, and he discovered it made a great sled, right in my front yard!  It wasn't redneck at all having a man in a sweatsuit use a mattress as a sled on my driveway...  not at all.  The girls had to stay the night with mom and dad that night cause M and I had to work the next day, so after all that excitement, he had to take them to Mamaw's and Papaw's house.  All in all, I would say they had an excellent Christmas.  I just wish I got some photos of Uncle M and company sledding on a mattress before the trash men hauled it away.

Now we have a NYE party to prepare and plan for.  I don't know how many will be coming.  I think I will give up on the whole asking people to R.S.V.P. thing.  No one does it anymore!  I'll just have to throw my doors (and fridge) open to whoever shows and smile and be grateful for being surrounded by so many loved ones.  Uncle M is off the last two days of this week, and will be home getting the Christmas stuff down, and cleaning from Christmas to be ready for the soiree this weekend.  I'm so grateful for that.  I don't know what I would do without him sometimes.

I am going to start on a project after NYE using my new dress dummy.  I've never been able to find a swim suit that I like in stores, and when I find one, well I might as well sell my ovaries on the black market to be able to afford it.  I bought material yesterday (online) and will be making a swim suit all of my own design!  I searched long and hard (on my darling laptop) and found a pattern for a halter top style top, and some boy shorts bottoms, and will be throwing that all together with some brown and pink lycra/spandex.  Wish me luck, I've never loved to work with this super stretchy material, but I will post photos, and try to keep you all updated on how it is going.


I did get all the rice bags I made for loved ones as Christmas presents done.  They turned out super cute, and I decided to toss them up on www.etsy.com to see if I can't sell some.  I haven't had any offers yet, but imagine most people who use Etsy have the basic skill it takes to make one of these.  The outside cover is removable for easy washing, and the name of the owner is hand embroidered in the material.  I had fun making these, and am so glad to have Uncle M around who helped me keep children fed, bathed, and well taken care of while I was eyeballs deep in cotton and threads.

The Vampire has been doing less biting.  Uncle M remarked to me yesterday that he doesn't think she has bitten the entire Christmas break.  I am going to cross my fingers and hope that this is the end of that horrible chapter, and we will be moving onto bigger and better things.  She has not been listening at all, though.  She has seemed wild, almost feral at times.  Hopefully this is just a phase of testing and manipulation, and we will quickly pull though it as well.  The Drama Queen has been very dramatic.  Hitting herself, saying she hates us, or living with us, etc. when she gets angry.  I know it is that lovely T&M at work (testing and manipulation) and I just send her to her room to calm down for 5 minutes, then let her re-join the rest of the family.  She will get the drift sooner or later, and although she doesn't want to admit it, I know she knows how very much M and I love her and would do anything for her.  Just yesterday when I came home she tossed her arms around me and yelled "TT mommy, you're home!"  The Vampire is still calling me mommy on a daily basis, and I'm settling more and more into being called that.

We didn't have any calls from bio mom or dad over the Christmas Holiday.  This weekend is a scheduled visitation weekend, but I haven't heard anything from bio dad about his desire to see them as of yet.  I keep thinking he will call for them, and want to give them Christmas gifts to make up for his absence...  but who knows what will happen.  I'll leave the time open, and if I don't hear from him by noon, then make other plans.  I can't let our lives revolve around someone who doesn't make the effort to be there, but when he does make the effort, I won't refuse him either.  My sister texted my mom and told mom to tell the girls she loves them and wanted to wish them Merry Christmas.  I don't know why she doesn't contact me about any of it, but it is her choice.  If she has lost my number, she can ask mom for it, and she has to know I have her girls, that if she wants to talk to them she just has to call.  I can't refuse her unless she is saying horrible things to them and scaring them, which I don't think she would do.  She told mom she didn't have money to buy stamps, and I can't help but wonder how a person with no children to pay for and care for, who isn't paying child support, can't afford to buy stamps to write their kids.  Either she's not working, she has other kids, or she's blowing the money she gets on things she shouldn't hold above her kids.  But there is nothing I can do to help her.  All I can do is keep being the steady and sane rock in the lives of those two little girls, and hope/pray that one day, things will be different.  Until then, ques sera sera! 

Happy New Year to you all!!!   *HUGS*

Aunt TT

No comments:

Post a Comment