Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Drama Queen turns Six

Six years ago yesterday, I fell head over heels in love with a little girl.  I helped my sister push her into this world, and was one of the first few to hold her.  My sister chose to name this little girl after me and blessed her with a middle name the same as I have.  It was love at first sight, and my love has only grown since.  I have always been a part of this little girl's life.  The day she cut her own hair at age 3, my sister called me to come clean up the mess.  I did what I could with what was left, and told my sister that I would have to take her to a salon and see if they can't do more.  Poor little Drama Queen was so sad, sobbing that now she looked like a boy.  I kept telling her, don't ever touch the scissors again, unless you have an adult's permission!  She ended up cutting what was left off, though, and I always wondered if the second cut was my sweet Drama Queen or my sister's doing.  The Drama Queen had really seemed to learn her lesson off of the first cut. 

I used to pick her up from my sister and keep her for the weekend.  We would do all sorts of fun things together.  I would keep clothes for her at my house because when I got her, she always smelled like cigarette smoke from the adults in her house, and her clothes were always torn, stained, and just really trashy looking.  I was embarrassed that people may think she was my kid, and I let her look like that.  Before she chopped her own hair off... I would give her a bath, and dry her long locks, and she would fall asleep on my lap as I dried her hair.  Something about the blow dryer would just put her out.  Her hair is all grown back out now, and I have tried to get her to fall asleep by drying her hair, but the magic is gone. 

This sweet little girl lost her first tooth with me in the summer of 2010, and I had to make sure it was put safely under her pillow for the Tooth Fairy to retrieve.  I had the pleasure of watching her take ballet classes last year, and see how much she was improving from one month to the next with the dance routine.  I have her enrolled in ballet and tap this year, and have the joy of continuing to watch her grow and learn.  I am so blessed with the presence of this beautiful little girl in my life.  Yesterday was her birthday.  She turned six, and although her party won't be until next weekend, I did everything in my power to make it a very special sixth birthday.  We sang Happy Birthday to her, we called mamaw and papaw, and they sang Happy Birthday to her.  We brought cookies to school for her to share with her classmates and teacher in celebration of this very special day.  At school, she got to wear a birthday girl hat, and her name was read over the announcements wishing her a very happy birthday.  After school, we took her to dinner at Frisch's and bought her a hot fudge sundae to share with her sister.  She seemed pretty content, and is thrilled to be a big 6 year old now. 

Her biological mom texted me yesterday, to ask me to tell her happy birthday.  I couldn't bring myself to do it.  Why you ask?  I didn't want to ruin her day.  I didn't want to have her think of the fact that her mother isn't here, and that couldn't even call to say hi.  I didn't want to bring sadness into an otherwise wonderful, fun day.  We have a meeting with the therapist tonite (pending on the masses of snow we are getting I guess) and I will see what she has to say about the text, and my not telling the Drama Queen.  It has to be hard to be a six year old little girl, and not understand why mommy isn't calling you every now and then to make sure you are ok, and happy. 

The Vampire is doing fairly good with the not biting.  She did bite her sister's thumb over the weekend, which was really hard to see because we thought she was finished with those behaviors.  I have been noticing over the last few weeks, that the Vampire's hair is growing out, and I think it may be kind of curly like mine.  It is just so wild and crazy sometimes, and so hard to style/fix.  I think it may be going curly!

Uncle M loves his new job.  He really seems to be enjoying the work and the people that he works with.  I can see a difference in him at home.  He seems lighter and happier.  It has been a good change thus far.  He is home in the mornings with us now, and the girls have really enjoyed having him around while getting ready for their days.  He went out to heat up our cars the other morning, and the Vampire kept saying "where my daddy go?  where my daddy go?  where my daddy go?"  I was brushing my teeth, and was trying to get to a point where I could spit and answer her, but before I could, the Drama Queen says to the Vampire "He's my daddy too you know!!!"  That just melted my heart to bits, then I reassured them that he wasn't going anywhere just headed outside to get our vehicles warmed up before we left for the sitter/school/work.  How nice to have our little family.  Wouldn't change it for the world. 
Aunt TT

No comments:

Post a Comment