Monday, April 18, 2011

I finished my first 5k!

Wednesday, the therapist suggested that we begin to give the vampire Melatonin to help her sleep. For those of you who don't know me well, I don't like to use medicine to solve problems. Mom had suggested that we use it weeks ago, and had even given us a bottle of it, but I still held out. But Uncle M and the therapist are right, if she isn't sleeping well, or as long as she should, she will struggle during simple daily routines. I finally caved. She fell asleep, and slept fairly well the first night. I have noticed she has been more clingy, but that started before the Melatonin. Uncle M and I decided to give it to her only on week nights, or weekends where she has to be up early. I will keep you updated on this, but so far, so good.  I might be a believer in the supplement, Melatonin.

Drama Queen has started to tell me that I don't "love her as much as I do the Vampire" or that I don't "care about her".  I know these are just manipulations.  But it still hurts.  Everything I do is for this child and her sister.  My life revolves around both of them.  My responses have ranged from "how could you feel that way?" to "you will believe what you want, but I will always love you." to "you are my life - how could I not love my life?"  She has wanted Uncle M more often than she has wanted me - which is a total reversal from before.  But I can't let my feelings be hurt by it.  I love her deeply, and I know she loves me.  She is just struggling lately.

My mom had Z-man's birthday this weekend.  The kids had a blast!  I was a little nervous the entire time because of the mix of people there.  You see one of my cousins was there, and he has had a history of drug abuse.  He is the cousin my sister has recently asked my mom for the number of - a leopard never changes their spots.  There was a teacher there that had been a teacher for the Vampire when she was kicked out of her first daycare - Z-man's biological father had her there as a guest.  She is a very nice person, and I went to school with her, it is just awkward being at a family function with someone who was part of a not so bright spot in the past.  I just kept smiling, and was very polite to everyone, and kept enjoying watching the kids have so much fun.

I ran my first 5K this weekend.  Well I didn't run.  I jogged and mostly walked.  It took me 49.10 minutes.  I had hoped to do it in about 45, but I chose not to beat myself up over this.  I finished the race and that was most important to me for this time around.  I also burned about 400 calories.  *beams*  I am sore today.  My legs, hips and back are letting me know that they protest to such barbaric torture.  Guess what legs and hips...  we're doing it again tonight.  Well maybe not an entire 3.1 miles - but we will be doing at least two.  I learned a lot from this run, and hope to do a couple more over the rest of spring, and summer.  My good friend stayed by my side for the entire run, and I was so thankful for her presence.  My aunt and cousin were also there (and finished way before me) but stayed to cheer me on through the finish line.  I am so blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people.

Uncle M and I worked in the greenhouse and yard this weekend.  We filled in the garden area with fresh top soil, planted new seedlings, transplanted the flowers (I'm not sure what they are, but think they're tulips), and just stood back and marveled at our hard work.  It is really looking nice.  I still need to figure out how I am going to pollinate the greenhouse.  I'm still toying with the idea of buying bees... it would be nice to make our own honey AND pollinate the greenhouse, but I'm still weighing the risk of the girls being stung against that how nice our own honey would be. DQ is terrified of bees, and Vampire mimics her every move.  I have to pollinate all those little flowers somehow.

Here are pics of the greenhouse right now:








Baata is mostly tolerable of the Little Girl (AKA Little Bit and Sophie).  Uncle M snapped this photo of them on the couch.


Aunt TT

No comments:

Post a Comment