Monday, September 24, 2012

Hope?!?!

Today I spent a good deal of time on the phone.  I called the school psych and told her about V's suspension.  I emphasized how upset I was at seeing a police officer (albeit a good officer) being called in on a 5 year old.  Who calls the cops on a 5 year old.  My initial reaction was that it was over the top, but everyone at the school seemed to think it was acceptable... and all these other people I talked to seemed to think it was acceptable.  Maybe my thoughts were just because I love that little girl that much?!?

Then I talked to a very special young woman who is close to V.  She felt that they over-reacted.  She felt that a 5 year old never should have been let to do that much damage.  She felt that V was re-directable.  I trust her.  She cared for V for awhile.  She also validated my initial, gut reaction.  There is no sense in calling a police officer on a 5 year old.

I also called a local hospital today.  They are known for their psychiatric ward.  V and DQ's therapist recommended that I call to get a behavior screening done on V.  The very kind woman on the other end of the phone listened to my story.  She then gave me two numbers to two places a little closer to me that might be able to help.  I immediately disregarded the 2nd number and name because it was a place I had heard of before, and didn't hear very much good about it.  The first however stuck out in my mind.  I had never heard of it. 

So I called the first number, and spoke to the owner.  An incredible woman, whom I kept thinking that everyone couldn't help but love her upon meeting her.  She listened to V's story, then asked me some questions.  She then said that she would like to meet with me face to face, and said she was available after 5:00 today.  I told her I would be there as soon as I could (this place is about 15-20 minutes from my work - depending on interstate traffic). 

At 5:30 I pulled in the parking lot worried that I was late, and this woman may be upset with me.  She was understanding, and even offered me something to eat or drink. 


Yeah.  You read that right.  She offered me something to eat or drink.  She was genuine.  She listened, and asked questions about V.  She told me at one point that her past is in the past, and all she cares about now is her future.  She felt that V's behaviors will qualify her for the program.  I sat there in a state of near shock the entire time.  Never before have I been treated with as much sincerity and respect in regards to testing for V.  Heck it isn't every often that people believe me that a child under the age of 6 can have severe debilitating behavior problems, but this woman didn't blink an eye when I listed off V's worst behaviors.

I feel so enlightened.  There are some drawbacks (packing well rounded meals for breakfast and lunch and making sure she gets 8oz of milk at each meal as the facility doesn't provide food), but the hope of V being a happy...  well adjusted child?!?!  Is well worth any drawback.

Our insurance will cover this 100%.  The drive is a little out of our way... but again....  well adjusted, happy child.  That truly is the bottom line isn't it?

This is an all day therapy course.  She may be dropped off at 7 and picked up at 6, but must be there for 8 hours (we can drop off a little later, or pick up earlier depending upon our needs).  Once accepted by the therapist who screens her she will go here instead of school EVERY week day until they no longer see a need for her to be there, then she will return to public school.  I voiced my opinion about being concerned she will be behind in school.  She assured me that they do work on writing letters, rhyming words, colors, counting/numbers, etc.  It is JUST LIKE SCHOOL - except licensed therapists are teaching the children.  And she reminded me that her behaviors are probably preventing learning at school anyway - so now is the time to get her in their program.  The owner told me that the average care plan is for 72 days, but V could be there for less or more time depending on her behavior.  Oh she also told me that they have a 96% success rate of helping children turn their lives around. The teacher to child ratio is 1:4, and ALL of the teachers are licensed therapists.
  
All of this pends on another therapist having a session with us and doing a "psych" eval. on V, but the owner felt confident that the therapist would feel that V was eligible for the program and we would receive the help we needed with her.

Does anyone else wonder when the other shoe will drop?  I know it's awful of me to think, but it's so hard for me to have hope that we have finally found what we need to turn this child's life around.  This facility is the only one like it in the Tri-State area.  They accept kids with severe behavior issues from age 18 months - 9 years. 

Could someone pinch me please?

More good news, we got our diebels testing results for our 2nd grader, DQ - she is doing AWESOME with her phonics, reading skill, and comprehension skills.  She was above where she needed to be for every single aspect.  We are so proud of her!!  She is such a smart young lady!   She is also doing well in competition dance!  AND I finished her Halloween costume yesterday.

So there are wonderful things happening in our lives.  I hope to keep writing you about all the awesome things to come!!!!

P.S.  V got her ears pierced a week ago!  They're so cute.  I will upload a photo soon as I can!

Aunt TT


2 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for all of you..good luck V!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see this post today. I've been reading your blog for awhile, but I've never commented. I read a random post of yours on Spark and started stalking your blog here after that.

    Anyway, I'm glad that you have found a potential solution to your situation. I have a little boy of my own and I can't even imagine the emotional upheaval you must have been going through to be unable to find help for little V, when you are trying so desperately to help her. You are such an incredibly strong woman to keep on trying when it would have been completely understandable if you had given up.

    My husband is a police officer, and I have to tell you that it (sadly) is not uncommon to have the police called for unruly children at school. I am glad that the officer you dealt with was willing to have a conversation with you rather than just blowing off the situation, though. Trust me when I say that they don't like responding to those types of calls any more than you like that they were called.

    I sincerely hope that this facility is the answer you've been searching for, and I'll continue reading your blog. You are an incredible mother, and those two little girls are so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete