Thursday, November 28, 2013

Our Big Announcement

At work on Friday September 25th, everyone kept telling me how beautiful I looked.  I hadn't done anything different.  I don't even think I had washed my hair that day (I wash it every other day).  It was so very odd.  I texted one of my good friends, and she laughed and told me that I am beautiful (I concur), and that I should just relax.  But something was nagging at me.  I texted my friend back, and said, "I think I am pregnant."  She texted back, "go take a test."  I texted the same conversation to another of my good friends.  After all two opinions are better than one.  She said the same thing. 

So bought a test on the way home and followed the instructions.  The second line was so faint.  I texted both friends and said, "whew.  In the clear.  There are two lines, but the second is so very faint."  They both texted me back and said, "Congratulations, you're pregnant."  No.  This couldn't be.  It just couldn't happen.  I am 34.  I tried for two years with my ex husband to have a child and (thank God) it never happened.  I haven't been on birth control for 7-8 years (sorry if that is TMI).  The test had to be faulty.  I wasn't going to believe it.  I would take precautions to care for myself if it was true, but it couldn't be.  Had to be a fluke.  I have spent most of my adult life believing that I couldn't have children biologically.  I had accepted this, and jumped into raising someone else's biological children.

About 3-4 days later, I had really bad cramps, and other fun things that made me believe I was either not pregnant, or losing the baby.  M (who by the way was estatic about the news) ran out and bought me a pint of Phish Food Ice Cream and another pregnancy test.  This time digital.  This time it was unmistakable.  I was pregnant.



I called the office I wanted to use, and they sent me out for a blood test.  Two days later, a doctor had confirmed the pregnancy, and that I wasn't miscarrying it.  

I am pregnant.  I am 14 weeks along now.  On Monday M and I were able to hear the heartbeat.  No ultrasounds have been done yet, but the unmistakable "lub dub lub dub lub dub" rang loud and clear on the sonogram speaker.  I am pregnant.  We could hear the baby move around, and even brush up against the sonogram wand.  Then the noise all stopped.  The midwife explained that the baby must have moved deeper into my uterus at that point, she joked that she scared it.  M kept saying, "I can't believe how much it moves all ready".  I believe I have felt it on a few occasions, so I can believe it.  I haven't seen this child growing inside me, but I have felt, and now heard it.

According the the e-mail updates I get frequently, the baby is now the size of a large lemon, and weighs about an ounce and a half.  I however have gained a pound since finding out I was pregnant 8 weeks ago.  I am trying to gain as little weight as I can, and be as healthy as I can, so I can deliver at the holistic birthing center I want to.  I won't be allowed if I become diabetic and high risk from what I understand.  I assisted a friend of mine at a birth there and it was amazing in contrast to the three I assisted at a regular hospital setting.  I hope to have a natural and loving birth.

Three of my closest friends have known since September 25th/26th.  My mom figured something was up with me the weekend after that and I spilled the beans to her because I just can't lie to my mom.  About a week later I told my co-workers because they know me well enough, they would know something was up anyway.  I told my dad the weekend after that.  We told the girls on Tuesday evening after school (Thanksgiving break started then).  Here is a video clip if you want to see how DQ and V reacted to learning they will be big sisters in May.  It was adorable.  V kept saying she wanted the baby to be born now, and I had to keep explaining that it isn't ready to be born yet, and needs a little longer to keep developing before it can live independently from me.  Like a caterpillar in a cocoon, we have to be patient to see the beautiful butterfly.

DQ and V learning about the baby

I wanted to tell M's family in person, so they made the 5 hour trip on Wednesday, and we broke the news to them with a gift on Wednesday evening. The gift consisted of a photo frame that says "grandparents", and a picture of the girls holding up this photo:


So the cat is out of the bag now.  We have an ultrasound on 1/10 to learn the gender (hopefully) and see the baby for the first time ever.  I plan on having a gender reveal party the Saturday or Sunday after for our family and friends, where we will all learn the gender together.  This will be grandchild number 13 for my parents (a tie breaker as they have 6 boys and 6 girls), and grandchild number 5 for M's parents.



Guess I will have to change the name of my blog in the near future as the family is growing....

Aunt TT

1 comment:

  1. Tabby, I cannot express the amount of joy I have for your very good news. I like you have totally given up on the idea of having my own biological children. Congrats to you, M, and the Girls!

    ReplyDelete